Sunday, March 8, 2009

Trinity Cathedral - March SketchCrawl

Another interseting, if not overwhelming, place to sketch. Josh continues to find unique places for us to fill our sketchbooks. This month was no exception.


The cathedral was built between 1901 and 1907. A classic Gothic structure, the high ceilings and ornate carvings in the Indiana Limestone are simply amazing. Containing many many unique elements like an oak "boss" (decorative knob) carved in 1457 from
Southwark Cathedral in England; a 15th century Flemish stained glass window and many many others. One of the most impressive things was the pipe organ, built by Flentrop of Holland in 1977.




I spent a solid hour on the pencil sketch and another hour inking and coloring it at home. Not precise, but a fair representation. The coolest thing was, when I was about half done, a man walked up behind me and was watching me sketch over my shoulder. He actually startled me, but said how much he liked it. I said how impressive the organ was and he said, "well just wait until you hear it". He then proceeded to climb the spiral stair and fire it up! It really was a religious experience; sketching in this vast space, surrounded by this awesome spiritual history, and hear the pipes ringing. Amazing!



I had started my sketching on some of the symbols in the stained glass windows. There was quite a mixture of them, and trying to sketch a whole window was just too overwhelming. So I took little pieces to focus on. Next month is at the Old Stone Church on the square.



3 comments:

Karen Sandstrom said...

Really nice job inside that (dark!) cathedral. Your pencil-sketch prep and all the time inking paid off, I think.

ZooMan55 said...

Thank you. It was so cool when he started playing that organ. And nice to see you again after so long.

Karen Blados said...

Wow, and I though it looked good in pencil. Very nice!